cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LanceRas
Level 7

IS2013 Installation failure

Has there been any changes to fix the problem with Basic MSI Setup.EXE's not installing on all supported targets?

I have tried checking to see if certain folders exist and that didn't help. I had to roll back to IS2012 Spring and now debating on if I should continue my maintenance if IS will not reliably install builds.

This was one of the responses on a ticket I had.

"The issue has to do with a change in some error handling where is certain folders are not found it will simply fail. In the other instances where customers have reported this behavior there were a few work arounds to the issue. Some issues were resolved by simply logging off and logging back in, manually creating the folders, or some users rolled back to the previous version of InstallShield until this is resolved. This could also explain as to why we have not been able to reproduce this issue. I have attached the link to the community post where this issue was uncovered and discussed by one of our engineers. Please let me know if this relates to the issues you are facing so that I may either attach the incidents to the work order, or continue investigating this matter further. "
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
claudine
Level 3

Hi LanceRas,
I have always the same problem : the install of my product builded with IS2013 failed, and not when it is builded with IS2012. But I have had this problem only on 3 servers ; on more than 1000, I haven't any problem.
I post it in the thread "Custom Actions fail with Error 3 on Wnidows Core OS". I know I probably haven't posted it in the good thread, but it seems to be the same problem than yours.
Thanks for your help.
Claudine
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

Claudine,

I probably have about 10,000 installs and had about 10 or 20 fail to installs. We just deal mostly with desktop OS. Most of the fails were XP SP3 but a couple were Windows 7.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The issue I'm personally aware of was specific to InstallScript code - are you using InstallScript custom actions in the Basic MSI you reference? Especially if so, have you installed the SP yet, as the cases I'm aware of are resolved with the SP. If you aren't using InstallScript, and/or already have the SP, we will need to diagnose this further. Your open incident with our support staff is probably the most appropriate place to do this; I'm also willing to look at log files when I can allocate the time.
0 Kudos
K0NFUZIUS
Level 5

Hi,

Please try to Install Service Pack 1 of Installshield 2013 and Rebuild your release.

I had also problems that only occurs on some few machines.

In my case a deferred custom action failed, because it is run under SYSTEM User rights.

Please refer also to:
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?207258-Initializing-engine-failed

Hope that helps. In my case all customers were able to install the release build with SP1.

Cheers
Joerg
0 Kudos
claudine
Level 3

Hi MickaelU,
I'm not using InstallScript, and I have already tested with the SP. At the present moment, I haven't logs.
If I can allocate time until next our product's version programmed for the end of november, i could open an incident with your support staff, but how ? I'm a beginner on this forum.
To wait, you can read more details on
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?206737-Custom-Actions-fail-with-Error-3-on-Wnidows-Core-OS
Thanks,
Claudine
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

MichaelU wrote:
The issue I'm personally aware of was specific to InstallScript code - are you using InstallScript custom actions in the Basic MSI you reference? Especially if so, have you installed the SP yet, as the cases I'm aware of are resolved with the SP. If you aren't using InstallScript, and/or already have the SP, we will need to diagnose this further. Your open incident with our support staff is probably the most appropriate place to do this; I'm also willing to look at log files when I can allocate the time.

The SP wasn't out in Sept when we released and downgraded the scripts. So I'm not sure. You are correct in that I am using IS custom actions.

I had installed a hotfix that was suppose to fix some things, but it didn't address this.

I'll try SP1.
0 Kudos