cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lysemose
Level 4

IS2010 SP1: "ISDEV : error -6259: Internal build error" after adding a component.

Adding a simple component to my installation project generates "ISDEV : error -6259: Internal build error". Changing the installation from Compressed to Uncompressed makes the error go away, but is NOT an acceptable solution.

The installation builds with 0 errors/warnings until "Data1.cab built" and then fails before "Files built" according to the log file.

Since we are close to product release it is critical to find a solution and I much appreciate any help on solving the problem.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Often you can get further information about what exactly is failing by getting a verbose build log. To do this, run a command-line build with the /v argument. Something like ISCmdBuild.exe /v /p"Path\To\Project.ism" ...
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

MichaelU,

Thanks for your advice.
Unfortunately the error does not show up when building from command line.
Is it possible to set verbose logging when building from the GUI?

Thanks,
Svend
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

This error is related to digital signing...To narrow it down, can you reproduce this in a new project with one feature and a couple of components? After the build is done, can you look at the MsiDigitalCertificate table and see if any records exist?
Anything unusual (non ansi characters) in the path location name where the project is stored or in the project name or file names being signed?
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

Dear Marwan,

Unfortunately this error is not always reproduceable. I have only seen it when doing the build from the GUI and never from the command line on the same machine.

I have changed the daily build (command line) to use verbose logging (/v) in case it should fail. It would be nice also to use verbose logging when building from the GUI. Is that possible?

The installation is quite large and I am afraid that I am running into some kind of ressource problem. The good thing is that the daily build is still running without failing.

Regards,
Svend
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

Several installations are being built during the process, butonly the biggest one fails some time.

Could the problem be caused by a bad connection to the Verisign time stamp server which is used during the signing process?

Any idea how to find out exactly what fails during the digital signing?

/Svend
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

Look at the documentation here http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387764.aspx They recommend using MakeCat for any files larger than 300Megs and mention low system resources...I think loading the whole file into memory is needed in order to verify the signature and that sometimes fails due to low system resources...
Also, here's a KB about verification issues on Win2K3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938759

Which OS are you building on? and are you using a .pfx or a .spc file to sign?
If you have any large cab files you are signing, consider splitting those into smaller ones.
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

I am building on XP SP3 and use .pfx to sign.
(Un)fortunaly the problem is not always reproduceable, but now I know what to look for. However it would be nice with more detailed error information in the log file than just "Internal error".

Thanks,
Svend
0 Kudos