cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magnus
Level 6

INSTALLDIR not kept in Maintenance mode

If INSTALLDIR only contains subfolders, i.e. no files directly in the INSTALLDIR folder, the property INSTALLDIR will be the default value in Maintenance mode (if user had choosen another installation directory when he/she installed the program.

Is this a InstallShield bug or Windows Installer bug?

If I put a dummy file in the INSTALLDIR folder, INSTALLDIR will have correct value.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
manomatt
Level 8

can you mention in which OS you are finding this issue??
0 Kudos
Magnus
Level 6

Windows XP SP3.

Windows Installer 4.5
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

I did the same test but i am not getting any issues. The INSTALLDIR is pointing to the correct location that i had selected during installation.:confused: how come you are getting it??
Can you check the Log files to see if you get more nformation on this?
0 Kudos
snip_1415
Level 4

The installdir chosen by the user during the installation process will only change the temporary copy of the MSI file which is loaded into memory. The property INSTALLDIR will be correctly set in the Property table of the MSI in memory and will be lost once the installation is done.

If u want to use the INSTALLDIR chosen by the user , try to persist it to the registry ( may be by using a CA) and then use it during any Maintenance Operatoin.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Windows Installer will persist Directory table values across installations if there is a component that installed to a given Directory table entry.

If none of the components in this MSI package are installing to INSTALLDIR, Windows Installer will not preserve any changes to INSTALLDIR across installations.

Note that this is a function of Windows Installer and cannot be controlled in any way except by including components to install to a target given by a Directory table entry.
0 Kudos
Magnus
Level 6

Thanks! !
0 Kudos