DataAnalyzer
Flexera beginner

INSTALLDIR is not C:\Program Files (x86) if user Select C:\Program Files for 32-bit

Our setup program lets users specify the folder to install the program. If they choose C:\program files on a 64-bit system, our INSTALLDIR value is set to that. However, the files get installed in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. We need the INSTALLDIR variable (or some other variable) to reflect the actual folder name where the file is installed since we need to update registries, shortcuts, etc. to reflect this.

How do we get the actual folder name when InstallShielld makes that change behind the scenes? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
TurboFisch
Pilgrim

Re: INSTALLDIR is not C:\Program Files (x86) if user Select C:\Program Files for 32-bit

All x32 programs go into c:\program files (x86).

Don't think you want to mix x32 in the x64 directory.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Flexera beginner

Re: INSTALLDIR is not C:\Program Files (x86) if user Select C:\Program Files for 32-bit

I agree. But in this case, I'm not specifying the folder name. The user is, and they've specified the wrong folder. InstallShield installs it in the proper folder (x86) which is great, but it doesn't update the INSTALLDIR value which is what the user specified. I need to know what folder the files are being installed in this situation. Is this kept in another variable? Any suggestions?

TurboFisch wrote:
All x32 programs go into c:\program files (x86).

Don't think you want to mix x32 in the x64 directory.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Flexera beginner

Files which are copied by 32-Bit setup go always into c:\program files (x86)

It is so.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Flexera beginner

Thank you for your response. I agree and understand the X86 folder. I don't have a problem with it being automatically installed in a different folder from what the user selects.

My question is: How do I get the folder name of where it's actually installed? The name differs in different languages and the INSTALLDIR variable doesn't not contain the correct value.

Roman1 wrote:

It is so.
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Frequent contributor

What project type is it Installscript, Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI ?
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Flexera beginner

Installscript

MarkusLatz wrote:
What project type is it Installscript, Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI ?
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Frequent contributor

Try to take a look at the user's guide and search for Disable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION). May be this solves your problem.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Flexera beginner

No, I don't want to disable it. I want the program to go to the right place. And it can be installed anywhere. We let the user choose. However, when they choose C:\Program Files, which is what INSTALLDIR is set to, InstallShield puts it in the x86 folder but doesn't update the INSTALLDIR value. I just need to know where it's actually installed.

MarkusLatz wrote:
Try to take a look at the user's guide and search for Disable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION). May be this solves your problem.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Flexera beginner

That's actually not true. That's only in English. There are equivalent names in other languages of Windows. What I need is the actual folder name where the files are installed. Any chance of getting that no matter what folder the user selects?

Roman1 wrote:

It is so.
0 Kudos