cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
palanisamy
Level 7

IIS Virtual Directory create Failure IISRT: -1072894420

Hi
My project type is BasicMSI, I try to install In windows 2008 enterprise Arabic operating system.
My application wants to create Website, Virtual directory in IIS web server.

I am having a problem to creating virtual directory and website. The Installation Rollback.

It throws the following error logged in log file.

CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-1072894420'.
InstallShield 16:43:32: Error with IISRT: -1072894420

I attached the verbose log.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Is this behavior occurring on all Windows Server 2008 machines when attempting to install this project? Does this behavior still occur if you do not install a web.config to C:\Program Files\My Company Name\My Product Name\Reporter\Web?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I just had a user report this error code on a Vista machine and we are using IS2009.

Are there any tips on how to proceed?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Assuming that your setup includes a web.config installing to the physical path that a virtual directory points at, and the web.config uses XML namespaces, this is an issue with IIS 7.0 (fixed in 7.5, hotfixed here for IIS 7.0). Since this is an IIS issue, IS 2010 would not have resolved the behavior.

Note that since the original poster did not follow up on this issue, this may or may not be related to the web.config XML namespace issue. In this case, additional troubleshooting would be needed to isolate the cause of the behavior, such as attempting to reproduce the issue with a sample project that is simplified. If you can reproduce with a sample, try removing IIS items from the project until the issue goes away (a binary search approach helps to minimize the testing needed). This may help to isolate a specific setting that is causing the issue.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Yes, these are ASP.NET websites that have web.configs. Thanks for the tip, I'll chase it down and report back how it goes.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

It turns out that the web.config's did contain namespaces. The developers weren't aware of it because they were inserted by a third party component ( nlog I think I recall ). This also seems to be fixed in Vista SP2 as we only discovered the problem in the integration lab when someone fired up an unpatched Vista image.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

It's good to know that a fix for the namespace issue is available outside of needing the hotfix. Thanks for following up!
0 Kudos
hickoxn
Level 2

In my case, I was installing a web.config as read-only. After I configured the installed web.config file to be writable, the installation completes successfully on 2008; 2003 did not have this issue.
0 Kudos