cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heathlmorris
Level 4

(IIS Errors) Error with IISRT: -2116, GetAdminSection returned: -2147024894

I am getting this error and a rollback on running a major upgrade for my .Net Web Applications.

Here is the relevant portion of the installlog.

SetVRtStrProperty for property '2102' with value 'Default Application'.
InstallShield 10:20:42: AppHostElement objects detected. Unsupported property.
InstallShield 10:20:42: SetCommonProperties for the following: EPS.ReportingHost 52477
InstallShield 10:20:42: SetVRtDWProperty for property '6016' with value '513'.
InstallShield 10:20:42: GetAdminSection for section 'system.webServer/handlers' and path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/EPS.ReportingHost 52477' and commitpath 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/EPS.ReportingHost 52477'.
InstallShield 10:20:42: GetAdminSection returned: -2147024894. The system cannot find the file specified.
InstallShield 10:20:42: GetAdminSection for section 'system.webServer/handlers' and path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/EPS.ReportingHost 52477' and commitpath 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST'.
InstallShield 10:20:42: GetAdminSection returned: -2147024894. The system cannot find the file specified.
InstallShield 10:20:42: Error: already using the main configuration file.
InstallShield 10:20:42: PutPropertyValue: sProperty accessPolicy sValue Script, Read bIsPath 0
InstallShield 10:20:42: PutPropertyCommon: sProperty accessPolicy sValue Script, Read bIsPath 0
InstallShield 10:20:42: Element is NULL while looking for the following property: accessPolicy
InstallShield 10:20:42: PutPropertyCommon: no property returned for accessPolicy, don't try to set it now
InstallShield 10:20:42: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST' and physical path 'C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config\'.
InstallShield 10:20:42: Changing CommitPath from 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST' to the following: MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/EPS.ReportingHost 52477
InstallShield 10:20:42: SetVRtDWProperty for property '6005' with value '1073741824'.
InstallShield 10:20:42: GetAdminSection for section 'system.webServer/directoryBrowse' and path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/EPS.ReportingHost 52477' and commitpath 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/EPS.ReportingHost 52477'.
InstallShield 10:20:42: GetAdminSection for section 'system.webServer/directoryBrowse' and path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/EPS.ReportingHost 52477' and commitpath 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST'.
InstallShield 10:20:42: Error: already using the main configuration file.
InstallShield 10:20:42: Element 'system.webServer/directoryBrowse' not found.
InstallShield 10:20:42: Error with IISRT: -2116
CustomAction ISIISInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 10:20:42: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

This Installation works fine as a clean install and is able to upgrade a previous install, but after a day or so I get these errors. I have tried rebuilding the websites from scratch and reconfiguring the IIS Settings, but after getting the end users machine in this broken state I am unable to create websites in IIS using Installshield. While I can manually create websites in IIS.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
mherrera
Level 3

Getting the exact same results here. Works great on a clean install, or on IIS6, but on an upgrade on IIS7 things go south with same error.

Did you ever get an answer?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately the included logging does not provide sufficient information to determine the cause of this behavior. If possible, please attach a sample project that reproduces this behavior or accurate reproduction steps so that we can investigate this further.
0 Kudos
slomicka
Level 5

I have the same problem reported here. If I create a new installation with IIS included it works. After a few builds and tweaking the files and app pool properties the install fails. Nothing I do gets it ever to install again. The only "fix" is to create a new install from scratch. This has happened three times so far in three days. All I get is an “install failed with 1603”. If definitely has something to do with IIS. I take IIS out completely the install completes. The environment is Server 2008 RC2. I am using IS 2011 Premiere. This sucks.

Addendum:Attached zip file. Enter a valid network username/password.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Logging the attached setup produces error 0x80070005 (-2147024891), which translates to "Access is denied." Looking through the MSI package in the setup, a web.config file is being installed to the physical directory that backs the application/virtual directory being installed. This file has the read-only attribute set in the File table (possibly because the source file used when building the project had its read-only attribute set) and will be installed as a read-only file. Since IIS will need to be able to write to this file, it returns an error to us when it can't (in this case, -2147024891), and the install is aborted since IIS was unable to correctly apply settings to the application being installed. Please remove the read-only attribute from any web.config files that will be installed to a folder that IIS will need to write to and test the install again.

Also note that this error is unrelated to the -2116/-2147024894 error originally posted in this thread.
0 Kudos
slomicka
Level 5

Thanks - that was it. I was able to confirm the fix and reproduce the error on demand. You rock. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
eseilram
Level 5

... for this post!

Such a silly reason and such an easy way out...

I had a web.config file checked out from TFS and it was readonly...

So I could solve my problem!
0 Kudos