cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fmoraleshtw
Level 3

Howto ask to the user at the end if wants to reboot?

Hi, 

In my Basic MSI proyect, I need, at the end of the installation, to ask to the user if wants to reboot or not (regardless of the windows state. The installer will not do any that would force to do it by itself), would be the user how decide to do it or not. 

Does it possible to do it automatically using any installshield preconfigure parameter?, if not?, how could do it?

Thks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @fmoraleshtw,

Thank you for your post.

You could try setting the REBOOT public MSI property with a property of:

REBOOT

and a value of:

Force

in the Property Manager in your Basic MSI project. I tested and confirmed that this worked for me. I was prompted to reboot at the end of the install, after I built the project then ran the built installer.

Here is a link to the official Microsoft documentation about the REBOOT MSI property:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/reboot

Please give this suggestion a try. Does this work for you?

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hi, one detail. The solution works, but, there is any way to set "No" as default instead "Yes" the popup asking to the user to reboot with this property in the property manager?. I mean, by default the popup is showed but "Yes" option is set by default. Could the default option be changed to "No"?. Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi @fmoraleshtw,

Thank you for your reply.

No, I do not see a way of doing this. You are forcing a reboot prompt by setting the REBOOT MSI property to Force, which means that the default value would be Yes.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Yes, you are right. Just a last question. Does it possible "in silence mode command line" to do not restart the machine?, I mean, does it possible in silence mode to answer "NO" to the popup to do not restart the machine with any parameter? Thks

0 Kudos