cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webpro_x
Level 2

How to use properties as Service accounts in Basic MSI project

Hello All,

I am developing a Basic MSI project using InstallShield 2008. I am installing 2 Windows Services as part of this project and I would like to configure the service accounts of each service based on input the user enters in a dialog screen. I've tried setting the username and password of each service with a property in the following formats:
{PROPERTY}, [PROPERTY], PROPERTY, and other variations.

Unfortunately, the installer throws an error during installation when I do this. It seems like it is expecting either a blank username and password or a hardcoded value. How can I configure InstallShield to use properites as the username and password for the services I am installing?

I would appreciate your assistance.

- Johnny
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The ServiceInstall table uses the Formatted data type for the StartName and Password fields, so [PROPERTY] should work. What is the particular error?

(One common issue is that the account must have the "log on as a service" right, which is not set by default.)
0 Kudos
webpro_x
Level 2

I finally got it to work using the [PROPERTY] format. There was another property I disabled or enabled (not sure) in this same properties window and things started working (referenced in another forum post I found). Not sure what it was.
0 Kudos