cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ganesh2you
Level 5

How to upgrade using Basic MSI Project

Hi ,

I have created package using basic MSI Project in install shield, I installed 1.00. version, when I created package using 1.10 version, files are not updated in the installer folder, How can I update the files by using same Basic MSI Project
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
GarrettDyer
Level 5

It's been a while since I've thought about upgrades, so I'm not sure if there's something else to consider regarding your dilemma, but I think you may need to create an Upgrade in your project. It can't hurt, and you'll probably want an Upgrade entry anyway, so I'd advise you to create one and see if that fixes your problem. I'm not sure if there's an online resource that addresses this, but I'll tell you what I have set up and we'll see if it helps.

Under the Installation Designer tab, the Media folder, there is an item called Upgrades. When you click on it, you will see Prepare Setup For Upgrade Scenarios, and beneath that Upgrade Windows Installer Setup. If you right-click on the latter and choose Create Major Upgrade, it will then create a new upgrade entry. For now, just leave the upgrade name as it defaults.

Under the Common tab in the right navigation pane, the first field (Major Upgrade) will default to "Products having another upgrade code" being selected, but then puts the Upgrade Code from your product (found in General Information) in the field. I'm not sure why it defaults as such, since it seems like that would result in the same behavior as if the other radio button was selected by default. Anyway, for now, don't change it...updating this field will only be relevant to you if end up creating more than one Release for your project.

The second field (Product Version) defaults to "Within a specific range of versions", and sets the defaults to beginning at and ending at the current Product Version of your project (found in General Information). My preference is to change this by selecting the "Any earlier version" radio button.

That's it. Build your project, and perform your upgrade...hopefully it will update the files on the target server.
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

Hi GarrettDyer,

I follow the steps which you have mention in the reply, everthing is updating, Only the problem is in control panel, we got two entry of same project...
can you please give a solution for the same
0 Kudos