cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zedubal
Level 3

How to upgrade MSI with Installscript project?

This must be a common question, but I've been hunting for 30mins and I can't find the answer. I have a previous MSI-based release. I've now created a new Installscript installer that needs to upgrade the previous MSI. How is it done?

Also, I've noticed that after installing an assembly which has a .NET installer class I have .installlog files left over in my installation. Worse, after uninstalling, the .installlog files are still there so the application is not cleanly removed. In the documentation I read that InstallShield runs installutil with /logfile= so that .installlog files are not generated. I searched the tables and found /logfile= . Then how are these files being created? How can I remove them?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
zedubal
Level 3

Responding to my own question here...

This KB article says:

IMPORTANT: When converting a project from InstallScript MSI to InstallScript, it is not possible to create a major or minor upgrade between these projects. The reason for this behavior is that the InstallScript MSI project type is based on MSI technology, while the InstallScript project type is based on InstallScript technology. If you wish to perform an upgrade, you need to manually uninstall the previous setup using a function, such as LaunchAppAndWait, from the script of the InstallScript project.

Can anyone suggest a good place in the script to call LaunchAppAndWait? Is there a best place to do something like this and can you add it to the KB? Is OnInstalling the right spot? OnBegin?
0 Kudos