cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
T5_Driver
Level 3

How to update a PROPERTY from xml on target machine with new value from Edit control

I am still fairly new to building installers...so hopefully this is very easy for you more seasoned pro's out there.

I am using InstallShield 2012 Spring - Pro.

After some reading and digging I am able to use a System Search to get XML values that I place into public properties that are used to populate Edit controls on dialogs. Pretty fun to actually figure that out. 🙂

ISSUE: If the user changes the Edit control values originating from the original XML file...I am unable to update the XML on the target machine to reflect the change.

I have the edit control "Property" set to the same public property that was generated from the initial XML file system search. If I am reading the documentation correctly, the public property should be updated with the contents of the edit control.

RESULT: The XML file is not updated with the new value entered in the edit control.

Is there some Event of some type that I need to add in the Control Event table to get this functioning as I need it to? I've tried several different things with no luck so far.

Thank you in advance!

-Mark
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

Ideally that should... What I believe here is the App Search standard action (which does system search) also runs in Install Execute sequence which is overwriting your value which you have set in User Interface sequence.
you can observe this quickly with Verbose log file.

Another simple test would be push the value from system search to a TEMP property and then display TEMP to modicy and set it back to your property in Install Execute sequence.
I haven't personally tested this.. but I believe that's what is happening.
0 Kudos
T5_Driver
Level 3

Thank you rrinblue22! Creating a diiferent set of properties to hold the initial value was the way to go. I appreciate you taking the time to help. 🙂
0 Kudos