cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zhangjf
Level 3

How to stream extra files to setup.exe?

I have a big support file in project, and want make a one-click installer. To avoid long time waiting on extracting files from .msi file, it would a good choice if I can stream these files to setup.exe like setup.ini and I can extract file from the setup.exe when installing.
Can any give some hints on stream and de-stream files from/to setup.exe? Or is there a better way out?

Thanks,
zhangjf
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

I'm not sure if this would work but you could try to put them in Support Files view under Advanced > Disk 1. These files don't get extracted to SUPPORTDIR but to the same folder as your .msi file.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
zhangjf
Level 3

Thanks Stefan.

But as my testing, files put under "support files view">"advanced">"Disk1" always keep not packed, and leave on the setup directory.I tried all kinds settings I know, but failed. I am not sure if I missed something. If it can works as you described, it meets my requirement.

Another option is put files under "support files view">"Language Independent", but unfortunately, these files are put into .msi database file. While installation, installer need extract these file by 2 times, so it takes too many time.

As I can see, the splashscreen file is working in the way as described, but our installer do need a splash screen and there are several files need to be packed.

It would be appreciated if there is more clues on this problem.

zhangjf
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

In this case I guess your only option would be packaging the file with an external utility (like WinZIP self extractor, or maybe a "Compact" project in InstallShield)
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
zhangjf
Level 3

I think PFTW is doing exactly the thing I want. But it has been sunset.

As said on installsite.org, it has been replaced by the "Compact" project type and the "single file executable" option in InstallShield products.

As I can see, compact project is also a kind of installation project, I am wondering how it can be used to simulate PFTW's behavior:
. Unpack the install files to a temporarily directory
. launch a setup executable program
. And when setup finishes, clear the install files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

I don't think you can. However: often it's desirable to keep the extracted files on the hard disk, for maintenance operation.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos