Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sasikumar
Level 4

How to set custom App-pool Identity in Installscript project

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are using InstallShield 2018 for our products. One particular product is a web app which installs the app, configure IIS, run some DB scripts, do config file transformations and using InstallScript project for that one.

I have a requirement like setting the App pool identity value based on windows authentication. So we can set identity like "SpecificUser", user name and password.

I tried to edit Direct editor, ISIISProperty table corresponding to App Pool Process model Identity with value <APPPOOLIDENTITY>, SpecificUser User Name with value <APPPOOLSTARTNAME>,SpecificUser Password with value <APPPOOLPASSWORD> for MetaDataValue(LO).  Please refer the attached screenshot1 inside the zip folder.

In Installation designer,  Server Configuration  --> Internet Information Services. I have changed as per screenshot2  inside the zip folder.

In BEHAVIOUR AND LOGIC section --> InstallScript file. I have added code in Setup.Rul  file for setting the value using TextSubSetValue method as suggested in "Using InstallScript Text Substitution to Dynamically Modify IIS Settings". Please refer Setup.Rul attached in the zip folder.

Below is code logic used to set values 

TextSubSetValue('<APPPOOLSTARTNAME>',szADusername, FALSE );
TextSubSetValue("<APPPOOLPASSWORD>",szADpassword, FALSE );
TextSubSetValue("<APPPOOLIDENTITY>","8", FALSE );

But value is not set to property table.Can you help me with solution for above mentioned scenario? Thanks. 

with regards,

Sasikumar

0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @sasikumar ,

Looks like TextSubSetValue based setting values works well only with text/string based settings like username etc. Couldn't see even integer setting like timeouts working with this approach.

Will update if i get any working approach.If not it can be type of enhancement for InstallShield.

Thanks,

Jenifer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @sasikumar ,

Script seems to be ok.But can you try adding properties(APPPOOLSTARTNAME,APPPOOLPASSWORD,APPPOOLIDENTITY) to the table Property instead of ISIISProperty without angular bracket?

With having these properties been added to Property table and setting it via :For Eg:

TextSubSetValue("<APPPOOLSTARTNAME>", szName, TRUE);

might work.I had evaluated this as they had given in

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/IIS-TextSub.htm

and it works!!

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi @Jenifer ,

Only the setting of the App Pool Process model "Identity" is not getting set. All other fields it's working fine.

Can you help me with a solution to set identity like ApplicationPoolIdentity or specific user at runtime? Thanks in advance.

with regards,

Sasikumar.A

0 Kudos

Hi @sasikumar ,

Looks like TextSubSetValue based setting values works well only with text/string based settings like username etc. Couldn't see even integer setting like timeouts working with this approach.

Will update if i get any working approach.If not it can be type of enhancement for InstallShield.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi @Jenifer ,

If you find the solution or workaround. Please let me know. Thanks for support .

with regards,

Sasikumar.A

0 Kudos