cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWoodman
Level 3

How to selectively uninstall by feature?

I have a VB application with a database. I would like to give the user the option to uninstall and reinstall the program without touching the database. (Usually need to do this because some DLL went missing when another program was removed).
I created the database as a separate feature (not required) which gets installed with a typical installation, but can be omitted with a custom one. However, when I uninstall, the database gets removed with no option to keep it.
Is there a way to leave the database alone when the program is uninstalled?

Crawford
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

What kind of database is it? If it's a file, you could mark the component as permenant.
0 Kudos
CWoodman
Level 3

Yes the database is an Access type file. It's installed into a Database folder of the user's choice (with a default location in the AppData folder), and a Registry key is created so my application can find the database. When I uninstall, the Database folder gets deleted.

I just looked at the Advanced tab of the File properties - looks like I can make it do what I want with these settings. Thanks a bunch Christopher for pointing me in the right direction!
0 Kudos