cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hal242
Level 2

unpacking without auto-install

Is there a standard method to unpack driver .exe files created with InstallShield without the package also running the auto installer?

I need to unpack the drivers and not install them because I load the drivers into imaging tools for preinstallation and I cannot install drivers onto my preinstallation server but rather I need them unpackaged. My preinstallation tool (WinPE) does not accept .exe files, so I need to extract them prior to loading them into my preinstallation server. Simply running the installer on my server and hoping to press cancel when the autoinstaller begins is not a good solution, nor is keeping an additional computer around to perform this on.

I understand that there are 3rd party tools available on the internet which I can use to extract the files, however, I cannot recommend 3rd party tools to my partners so I am looking to see if there is some method built-in to InstallShield itself to perform this.

Thanks in advance
Harold
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

It depends on the project type that was used to create the installation; if it was an MSI-based project, an "administrative installation" should do it:

setup.exe /a

Recent InstallScript versions seem to support a similar /extract_all switch:

setup.exe /extract_all:"C:\somewhere"
0 Kudos
hal242
Level 2

That works like a charm, at least for the one package I tried it against...

Many thanks for that!
0 Kudos