cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mswlogo
Level 3

How to register COM DLL on Vista without errors

We have a couple COM DLL's we need to register and just use the automatic registration provided by InstallShield.

However on Vista it fails due to User Access Control.

I tried running the installation setup.exe with "Run as Admin" but registration still gets an error.

How do I do this properly on Vista.

XP works fine and I assume if I shut UAC off it would work fine but I'm nnot asking users to do that.

This is a Hybrid InstallShield/MSI install.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This sounds more likely to be due to Windows Resource Protection on Vista, which prevents even the administrator account from modifying certain registry keys. See http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=168541 or other threads for more detail.
0 Kudos
mswlogo
Level 3

Yes of course is. It's all related to UAC.

InstallShield needs to figure out how to deal with it.

That thread is confusing 2 issues.

One is improper distribution of microsoft DLL's the other is registering ANY COMM DLL.

I can't register my OWN Comm DLL's with out errors on Vista.

If I run a DOS Box in admin mode I can use regsvr32 (with user permission given to DOS Box from user).

I have tried running setup.exe as admin but still get the error.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

In what manner does it fail? Can you see anything useful if you compare a Regmon or Process Explorer registry log from the command prompt version with the installer version? What are some of the keys from your DLL it tries to write and fails?
0 Kudos
cnpitroda
Level 5

In vista setup runs in always administrator mode so register files simply using the regsvr32 and then run the setup. I have used like this and it works.
0 Kudos