cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John78
Level 3

How to overwrite the previous version?

Hi,

I am using "InstallShield 2013 Limited Edition for Visual Studio".

When I try to install the package multiple times I am getting the below mentioned error.

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the control panel.

Also, if I change the product code it creates multiple entries under Add/Remove Programs.

Kindly let me know how to avoid these issues.

Thanks
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

A "major upgrade" will uninstall the currently installed version and install the version from your installer.

You would need to change
*Package code
*Product version
*Product code

You will also want to create an upgrade entry in the Upgrade Paths view

More information on different types of upgrades can be found at the link below:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield21helplib/installshield21helplib.htm#StartTopic=helplibrary/MajorMinorSmall.htm
0 Kudos
John78
Level 3

jkell wrote:
A "major upgrade" will uninstall the currently installed version and install the version from your installer.

You would need to change
*Package code
*Product version
*Product code

You will also want to create an upgrade entry in the Upgrade Paths view

More information on different types of upgrades can be found at the link below:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield21helplib/installshield21helplib.htm#StartTopic=helplibrary/MajorMinorSmall.htm

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure where I can find Package code.

I have changed Product version and Product code and it is not prompting me saying "Another version of this product is already installed ...". However, it is not uninstalling the existing version. In Add/Remove Programs I am seeing both versions of my product.

Thanks
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

The package code changes each time you build, so there is no option in the LE edition to change it. As long as the other options mentioned have been changed, you should be all set.

Do the Upgrade Codes match between the two projects ?

You can find the Upgrade Code option under the "Upgrades Paths" view after you have created a new upgrade path.
0 Kudos