cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akshara
Level 5

How to modify product name in control panel in vista?

Hi,

I am using basic MSI project,At the end of installation i want to change the product name in control panel. I created the Custom action and tried changing the DisplayName field in the registry. but it didnt get changed.

any idea?

Regards,
Akshara
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

But why would you want to do that then?
0 Kudos
akshara
Level 5

i have not understood your question. I have a Productname xyz,this name is set in properties of product information.This name is recorded in the registry and also displayed while installation.

But in the control panel, i want to give product name with other information(like company name etc). i want to do this at the end of installation
0 Kudos
akshara
Level 5

any idea?? changing the productname in registry is fine solution?
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

Let me rephrase my question. Why would you want to do that at runtime, instead of design/development time?

With your additional info related to ProductName property, the question now is, why would you want to do that at all? Maybe it should have been the question all along, but anyway.

Sure you can change the name displayed in APR in registry, you are just not changing it at the right place. If you do a search on your product name in registry, you will eventually find it. Or you can change it in the registry key under HKCR\Installer\Products for your product installed. I am not sure of the ramification at uninstallation and future minor/major upgradability from doing this change. Do it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
akshara
Level 5

if i change the productname at compile time, the same name displays(which is big) in the setup dialog also. So i thought of doing after installation.

is there any other way to solve this problem in compile time itself?
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

Of course there is a way. Instead of using just ProductName property, have another property so that ProductName property will include company name and the other does not. But this is not compile time hack.
0 Kudos
akshara
Level 5

thanks for the information....i solved by using different name instead of productname
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

You are welcome.
0 Kudos