cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
senthil_vpc
Level 4

How to mask password in response file

Hi ,
I am using a password control in a user defined dialog. I dont know how to mask this password in response file for silent install.

The documentation provides guidelines for password dialog not for password control.

did anybody try this before?

Thanks
Senthil
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Can you use the same code as in the Password dialog events?
0 Kudos
AlexanderRodov
Level 3

Storing a password in a silent mode response file does not sound like a good idea. I may suggest displaying a message box when your installer runs with -options-record flag telling the user that they have to provide the password using a different method (but not a command line parameter, because that is not secure at all).

I may recommend storing a password in a different temporary file, which gets created before the install and removed right after the silent install. The response file would have a path to the temp file, and the silent event handler for the dialog would read from that file and use the password for the silent installation session. The temp file with the password must be unavailable for other users (file attribute 600 or even 400 on UNIX platforms) and must be deleted as soon as it becomes unnecessary.

Would that work?

Alex
0 Kudos
senthil_vpc
Level 4

Thanks Alex for your idea. If we i use a temp file, i am not sure how the will enter the password.

Basically I want the functionality silimar to Password dialog.

I have the dialog which has user name and password fields. After getting these values from user , i am logging into an external system for doing some task.

Every things is good during GUI installation. because i get the password by using PasswordControl.getText() method.

During silent install, i need to pass this password from resp file. But i can not hardcode Password in resp file. I can ask the user to encrypt the password using com.installshield.util.runtime.PasswordUtils and enter that in resp file.

But i dont know how to decode that password so as to pass to external system for authentication.

Senthil

I can not use password dialog because it wont allow me to move to next dialog unless the user enters the right password.
0 Kudos
JaySim20
Level 3

Hi - did you ever find a resolution to this? I'm facing the same issue now.
0 Kudos