cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikael_jarleber
Level 3

How to make a simple msi-file?

I have just migrated a project to VS 2014.

I'm trying to make a simple one-file-install as I had in the previous build based on the Windows Installer.

Apparantly this is not an easy task using Install Shield. First of all I run into the problem with the file path being too long. After some googling I solved the problem by renaming my installer project.

I'm still having problem understanding how Install Shield releases works.

I get my output in a tediously long chain of folders:
D:\OneDrive\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\My App Name\Setup\Setup\Express\DVD-5\DiskImages\DISK1

1. Is there no way to set the output to another destination . like directly in the Setup folder?
2. Are all the files needed to install my project really included in the msi-file? It is just around 763 k while the exe-file is almost twice the size. I really need a stand-alone msi-file since I distribute it using a custom web service.
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
mikael_jarleber
Level 3

Would really appreciate an answer since we are about to release a new version based on the Install Shield system.
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello Mikael,

In the Releases view, when you select the release, you should see a Build tab.

The Release Location field should allow you to control where you want your top level folder to be, so you can select a shorter path. This will control where Express subfolder gets placed.

If you are building with the DVD release, there is a cab file that contains your files outside of the MSI. If you use the SingleImage and Compressed, then you will only get a msi file.
0 Kudos
mikael_jarleber
Level 3

Thank you!
0 Kudos