cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lee1212
Level 3

How to know when silent install finished

Hi
I have created a setup that can be run in silent install and it work fine.
I have a question regarding how can I know that the setup ends?
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

This all depends on the type of installation you are using.

If you are using MSI type of install package then just setup your command line with a /qb so it only shows the progress bar.
For other package types you are a bit limited and you may want to use something like powershell to launch the setup in silent mode, get a handle to the setup, and once the handle has been released take and show a message.
0 Kudos
Lee1212
Level 3

DLee65 wrote:
This all depends on the type of installation you are using.

If you are using MSI type of install package then just setup your command line with a /qb so it only shows the progress bar.
For other package types you are a bit limited and you may want to use something like powershell to launch the setup in silent mode, get a handle to the setup, and once the handle has been released take and show a message.

My projects are install script type...
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

The moment the InstallScript setup.exe is completed (success/failure) in silent mode... there's a setup.log file that gets created in the same directory as setup.exe (if i'm not wrong here) based on that you can proceed.

Also, you can check for the process based on your installer's name ....
0 Kudos
orearv2
Level 3

Lee1212 wrote:
Hi
I have created a setup that can be run in silent install and it work fine.
I have a question regarding how can I know that the setup ends?
Thanks

Who needs to know? You could set a registry with the success state if you have a monitoring service or another installer that needs to know the exit state.
Or you could have the installer launch notepad with a text file for final install instructions, or a VBS script to announce the installation has completed if you want a visable notice.
The final install state should also be recorded in the Windows Application Event log for MSI or InstallScriptMSI installations. If your installer is InstallScript, it could write to the event log too.
0 Kudos