cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garyflet
Level 3

How to install optional shortcut to optional directory

Attempting to convert from Wise to InstallShield MSI installation. It was easy using Wise to give the user the choice of directory to install our software, and to have the choice of whether to have a desktop shortcut and/or startmenu shortcut to the software. With Installshield MSI, I know how to create a dialog to give them the options, and I know how to store the info (property) that tells me what they want, but I don’t know how to install the optional shortcuts with the user chosen directory. Any help greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
garyflet
Level 3

Looks like I fingered this one out myself. I created a dialog box with two checkboxes for each type of shortcut. Then I created two components whose conditions were the checkbox properties. The components have shortcuts to the files to be installed. Thus the user defined installation directory will be what the shortcuts point to, and the shortcuts are installed only if the user specifies them to be installed.
0 Kudos
danwize
Level 4

How did you create the new components? I tried this method and I created components with conditions based on my check boxes, but I still get nothing. Also the Icon next to my components has a red exclamation point. I assume it is trying to tell me something is wrong, but I don't know what that means. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

"Icon next to my components has a red exclamation point" - this means that the component is not assosiated with any of your features. Try to assosiate your component to a feature and try it.
0 Kudos