cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ih8stupidrules
Level 4

How to get list of registry entries that will be written?

Is there a way, in the execution phase of a msi, to get the list of registry entries that will actually be written, in a DTF custom action?

I know I can get this info from the log after the installation has completed, but I need it at runtime to use in a custom action.

What table/view can I query to get this information at run time? The Windows Installer engine must have a table/view with this information, no?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

You can take a look at Registry Table.
0 Kudos
Ih8stupidrules
Level 4

I did, but that's the entire list of registry entries that can be written, which can be different than the actual list of registry entries that will be written, especially in a minor upgrade.

It's what I'm using now, but I would prefer to not have to process the entire table, only the entries scheduled to be actually written/installed.

Anyone has an idea how to get, at runtime, the actual list/view/table of registry entries the Windows installer engine is going to write during the WriteRegistryValues action?
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

I am not aware of a transient table or view that contains a list of registry entries actually written during installation. However, you could jump through some hoops to arrive at the same list by cross-referencing components' action and Registry table.
0 Kudos