cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheinar
Level 2

How to enable logging for installation through Setup.exe

Hi all,

I want to enable logging for installation through Setup.exe. 

The log file should be stored in the "Logs" folder inside the installer folder and the name of the log file should contain the timestamp (example: SetupLog_YYYYMMDDhhmmss.log).

I try to do this with MSI Command-Line Arguments (Media => Releases => Release => Setup.exe tab) like this:

/lvoicewarmupx "Logs\SetupLog.log"

Sheinar_0-1585127438054.png

But I receive an error:

Sheinar_1-1585127455201.png

It works only if I do not specify the directory (/lvoicewarmupx "SetupLog.log"), but in this case the log file will be stored right in the folder with the installer.

So, I have 2 questions:

1) How can I specify the folder where the log file will be stored?

2) How can I add the timestamp to the name of the file?

I use InstallShield 2015

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

In a Basic MSI project you can enable MSI logs in the following location: General Information > General > Create Logs It is here that you can determin any custom values to the MSI logging values. You can also use the specific MSI commandline switches such as: /l*v "C:\path\to\log\logfile.log" https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/command-line-options Be aware that the Windows Installer is not able to create a new directory for the log file, so it should already exist.

0 Kudos

I already tried to specify the file name in the "General MSI Logs" property (General Information > General ) but the log file was not created at all.

Screenshot_2.png

 

0 Kudos

I tried to specify the log options in a Basic MSI project in General Information > General > Create Logs > Custom MsiLogging value.

I tried the value you suggested, and other combinations of options and paths:

• /l*v "C:\path\to\log\logfile.log"
  • /l*v "C\:logfile.log"
  • /l* test.log
  • voicewarmup C\:logfile.log
  • voicewarmup test.log

They did not work. I did not manage to create a log file with a custom name and location.

My .ism project has 2 releases, one creates a setup.exe, the other creates a plain .msi. I want the setup to create a log file when it is run, either next to it or in C:\logName.txt

Please help.

0 Kudos