cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jameslcs001
Level 3

How to direct user to install .net Framework 4

I develop my app using .net Framework 4. How do I direct user to install it, if during user installation the pre-requisite detected that the user machine does not have that Framework and a messagebox pop up.

How do i rewrite the messagebox’s message so it will have link to point MS site for installing the Framework?

Or is there a better way to do this.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

You may want to consider adding the InstallShield prerequisite for .NET Framework 4 to your project. You can do this in the Redistributables view. (The InstallShield prerequisites for .NET Framework 4 are available in InstallShield 2010 Expansion Pack for Visual Studio 2010. For information on how to obtain this expansion pack, see the last post in the Read Me First sticky thread in this community forum.)

If the .NET Framework 4 is not already present on a target system, your installation would automatically install this before your product is installed. This experience is nice since end users do not need to manually download and install something themselves.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
nmsams
Level 7

I'm a visual person. After you install the expansion pack, you'll just click on the .net 4 redistributable, and then associate it with a feature (or run before all features, as in the screen shot). This will bring up a nice window telling you to install the framework first. When it's done installing, it will then bring up your welcome screen (or whatever is your first screen of your install).
0 Kudos