cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmatlock
Level 6

How to deploy SSRS Reports through Install Shield

Is there any documentation, help, examples on how to deploy SQL Server Reporting Services reports via Install Shield 2010? I am using an InstallScript MSI project at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
timstspry
Level 7

Not that I am aware of. You would have to do something with the setup.exe bootstrapper for the SQL Server installer to indicate that SSRS should be installed via a .cmd file passing in the appropriate parameters. What you are asking is not straight forward, or easy to do. I have spent a couple of months writing the installer, .cmd files, vbscripts, etc. to do this.

Tim
:eek:
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I've done this at a previous job. Basically you write a C#/DTF custom action that can call into the web service that SSRS exposes and then make the whole thing data driven via custom tables. It took me about a week to get it working really well.
0 Kudos
timstspry
Level 7

Hi Christopher, interesting idea. I am not sure what a DTF is? Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance!

Tim
0 Kudos
pmatlock
Level 6

Thanks for the info...I was hoping to use the rs.exe utility, but I'm sure it's probably not that easy 😞
0 Kudos
rperreta
Level 3

Hi - I am currently looking for a way to create an install package for my SSRS reports, datasources and subscriptions. I found this in my search for an easy way to do it. It works pretty good and it makes things very simple.

http://weblogs.asp.net/akjoshi/archive/2009/01/29/using-rs-scripter-to-create-deployment-script-for-reporting-services.aspx
0 Kudos
pmatlock
Level 6

Awesome! Thanks very much for the info!
0 Kudos
operaza
Level 4

Hello,
I used the rs.exe tool to deploy reports from tfs changes. Then IT management asked me to deploy every single report with the tool (about 300s reports, total size around 40Mb) and it took the rs.exe around 30min to deploy those.
I wrote the equivalent to what the rs was doing in a .net program to bypass the compiling step and there wasn't any major performance increase.
My questions are?
Do you guys know if this is expected behavior?
Do you guys could share your experience in this regard?
Thanks
0 Kudos