cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IlkkaV
Level 7

How to define a Registry/Environment path variables?

I'm in the process of converting the standard path variables pointing at our build folders to Registry or environment path variables in order to make it more flexible to change from which folder the files are taken. However, so far I haven't been successful in getting them to work, and the help file is a "bit" too vague about the subject (for example, I'd like to know where in the Registry the value should be stored). I'd appreciate any pointers.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see the help topic "Creating and Defining a Path Variable", which gives an example of what to put in the registry and what the corresponding path variable settings look like...
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

RobertDickau wrote:
Please see the help topic "Creating and Defining a Path Variable", which gives an example of what to put in the registry and what the corresponding path variable settings look like...

Thanks Robert, now everything works like it should. However, the topic wasn't that easy to find, maybe it should be linked from the Path Variables View topic (i.e. the one that opens when you hit F1 in the Path Variables view) or at least from the linked Registry Path Variables and Environment Variables topics.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

I am looking for the same thing, I cannot find the help topic. Could you please prived a link for this topic please.

Thaks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Hi there, I did find the help topic, however; I do not understand this:

"use the Environment Variables view to change the Type setting of that environment variable from System to User"

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

To clarify, that topic (describing how to set whether an environment variable is per-user or per-machine) is for creating an environment variable on a user's system, and not for defining a source-path variable on your development system...
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Thank you for your explanation Sir.

So how than do I fix this error on a vista machine? When I have to append registry entries for a product that one has already installed prior? Meaning, I have to add a new product to an exiting key in the registry.

I need this the Environment Variables view to change the Type setting of that environment variable from System to User so when my product is getting uninstalled. I need to remove my registry entries which I have added with InstallShield.

I am lost here?

..............................................Error code......................................
Corrective Action
To resolve ISICE20 errors, do one of the following:

•Select Yes for the Require Administrative Privileges setting in the General Information view. For more information, see Entering Summary Information Stream Data.
•Change your project so that it does not install, modify, or delete data in system locations. For example, if your project adds a registry key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, use the Registry view to move that registry key to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If your project adds or modifies a system environment variable, use the Environment Variables view to change the Type setting of that environment variable from System to User.
0 Kudos