cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zhiyazw
Level 2

How to create two service with idential ServiceName

I have an install package, inside which, most are Windows 32 bit applications, they serve both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows.
Except a service, as well as a .dll and a .sys driver which the service used, let's call them "the service",
due to some architecture design, "the service" was infected by the 64 bit .sys driver, they must be 64 bit for 64 bit Windows.
I want to compress the 32bit and 64bit applications into a single install package, by specifying component condition,
for example, specify "VersionNT64" for MyService_x64.exe component, and "NOT VersionNT64" for MyService_x86.exe component,
Of course the two service should have the identical ServiceName, because my other applications will communicate with the service through its ServiceName.
Then problem comes out, InstallShield doesn't allow two services have same ServiceName, IS there a way to accomplish that? except creating individual install package.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

I think the problem you are encountering is the fact that the ServiceInstall value is a primary key for the ServiceInstall table. It requires a unique key.
The value of this PK can be different while the Name column and description column can be the same without impacting your install at all.

So you can do the following for the ServiceInstall Value:
For x86 name it MySvc86
For x64 name it MySvc64

This should allow you to compile without errors.
0 Kudos
zhiyazw
Level 2

Thank you DLee, I was thinking the Key Name is the Windows serivce name to be installed, but now it seems to mean nothing but a PK column in datebase. The actual Windows service name is specified by the serivce node label.
0 Kudos