cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterbi
Level 7

How to convert an IS6.3 project to IS2009?

I now need to convert a very old IS6.3 project to IS2009 (for Vista complication and more).

I just briefly looked at the project (with IS6.3), it seems not that complicated to me. I am thinking of two different ways to do it: 1) to convert using IS2009 IDE; 2) to create a Basic MSI project using IS2009 IDE.

Anybody has experience on the conversion? What is the better way to do it? In 1), can I convert it to Basic MSI or it has to be InstallScript MSI?

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
ironscripter
Level 2

Hi,
InstallScript engine has changed several times since IS6.3 and hence IS 2009 cannot convert to the latest. It is recommeneded you start a new project in IS2009.

Thank you,
Mani
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you haven't yet, please see the help topics "Upgrading Projects Created with InstallShield Professional" and "Migrating from InstallShield Professional 6.x". As you suspect, the automatic conversion is to an InstallShield 2009 InstallScript project.

If you do want an MSI project, one option (depending on the edition of InstallShield you have) is to use the Repackager tool. The help has a bit more information.
0 Kudos
peterbi
Level 7

Thanks for both of your replies.

Now I want to do it conservetively - I want to migrate it to InstallScript (IS2009) first and make it work (building and installation), then start from there.

I have changed the "program ...endprogram" to OnShowGUI() in the setup.rul and cleared the way to make compilaton work. When I tried to install I got "0x80040706 Object Reference Not Set" error. I bet it's from the object setting changes: in the old project, I have the following objects included with a component:

- New Jet 4.0 1
- New MFC 6.2 Runtime 1
- New ODBC 3.51 1
- New MDAC 2.6 1

(Question: each of the objs has '1' at the end in IS6.3 IDE, does it mean there is only one instance for each?)

Can I still use the same objects in the converted (IS2009 InstallScript) project? If so, how can I get the objects from the old project? If not, what equivalent objects should I use (I prefer not to, in case the object change may affect the existing functionality of apps)? With the equivalents, do I still need the code (GetObject(..)/IsObject(..)/etc.) and should I make the corresponding changes to call the right object names?

Your detailed description of the steps on handling the objects migration is highly appreciated. Since I never converted such an old project with old objects.

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
peterbi
Level 7

In IS6.3 project, there is IDE button 'Project -> Insert InstallShield Objects', it will list IS objects from InstallShield Object Galary, and I can select an object and add it to the project.

In IS2009 (InstallScript), I don't see the equivalent function, to add an object/MM from Application Data/Objects view, I have to select a feature and add the object to the feature, is this the right way to do in IS200(?

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Personally I'd create a new Basic MSI and then see how close you can get the instll to behaving correctly before even looking at the legacy installscript code for migration. You might be suprised how much of that code you don't need as MSI can typically do a great many things for you natively.
0 Kudos