cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
signcadBentley
Level 3

How to convert EXE installer to MSI

Hi,

I have an olde EXE software that needed to be integrated into my new MSI installer package.

(1) I want to create a MSI install package which has no UIs. I need have the EXE to run silently and packaged into a MSI package.

(2) The other desired way is to run "setup.exe /s" within my MSI project.

Best,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi SignCAD,

For InstallShield MSI based projects I have found the following to work:

setup.exe /s /x /b"C:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted" /v"/qn"
This command will lead to an extracted MSI in a directory you can freely specify and a silently failed uninstall of the product.

The command line basically tells the setup.exe to attempt to uninstall the product (/x) and do so silently (/s). While doing that it should extract the MSI to a specific location (/b).

The /v command passes arguments to Windows Installer, in this case the /qn argument. The /qn argument disables any GUI output of the installer.

Hope it helps,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
Jayden009
Level 2

Hello... I am trying to install the InstallShield MSI but, I don't know the exact process to do that. Anyone here please help me to do so mybkexperience thanks!
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Jayden009 wrote:
Hello... I am trying to install the InstallShield MSI but, I don't know the exact process to do that. Anyone here please help me to do so mybkexperience thanks!

Hello,

Can you please elaborate the exact requirement from your side?Are you trying to install Installshield built up msi?

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
Larry578
Level 3

Follow the steps:

1. Start a "MSI from EXE(s)" project
2. Enter details about your product
3. Set project and package paths
4. Configure .EXE packages
4.1 Include an .EXE package
5. Set Package Options
6. Build project

1. Start a "MSI from EXE(s)" project
If Advanced Installer is not currently running, launch it by double-clicking its desktop icon or selecting it from the "Start" menu. On the application's Start Page you can choose “Convert” > “MSI from EXE(s)” project type.

2. Enter details about your product
Configure the product details for your .MSI installer:

3. Set project and package paths
In this dialog you can specify project location and output folder. By default the package name will be the same as the project name but you can change this later:

4. Configure .EXE packages
In this dialog you can choose the location of the .EXE packages you want to include either from disk ([ Add From Disk... ] button) or from URL ([ Add From URL... ] button):

5. Set Package Options
This dialog allows you configure general installation package options. For this example you can leave the default: Show MSI information in Program and Features (Add or Remove Programs) applet in Control Panel - If disabled, this option prevents the product from being displayed in the "Add or Remove Programs" applet from Control Panel.

6. Build project
BuildChoose to build the project or press [ Finish ] to continue configuring it.

vidmate,
0 Kudos