cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJungen
Level 6

How to change ProductName for uninstall

Hello,

ich have a Basic-MSI Installation, and want to change the ProductName , which is displayed in setup dialogs, and in the Registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\...
and in some other places ...

During the Installation, the user can make some selections.
Depending on these selections i want to change the ProductName.

Is this possible ?

Does someone have an idea ?

Thanks

Andreas
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
danieluc
Level 6

Hi,

I guess you can store the new name somewhere in registries, and when uninstalling, read and in a CA set the new ProductName.
But what do you need this for?

Regards,
Daniel
0 Kudos
AJungen
Level 6

Hi,

Sorry, but
no, i cant store it somewhere else, i need it in the Display Name from the uninstall

I have mutiple instances for multiple installations.
I have some selfmade dialogs, need these to decide wich component has to be installed. No, i cant split the installation.

Because the user has to know, in the 'software' dialog, what he has installed -
i have to change the DisplayName.
No, i cant write it in the comments or else 😞
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you know what the set of potential product names are ahead of time, you may want to look into the MSI multiple-instance support in InstallShield 2009. I'm not convinced it's a perfect fit for what you describe, but it might be close enough.

However generally multiple instances are virtually identical, and your last post seems to indicate you change what you install on a per-instance level since you know what instance it is. This is not a great fit for our multi-instance support (although it can still be done).
0 Kudos
Miroslav
Level 2

You have built in function "OnCustomizeUninstInfo"
This is used in case you are running setup with more then one product, and for each install dependant on which product is selected you can change uninstall info. i had this problem last year.

In dialog window where you choose which product you are installing
you just make
if (bOneThing = TRUE) then

UNINSTALL_DISPLAYNAME = "One Thing";

elseif (bOtherThing = TRUE) then

UNINSTALL_DISPLAYNAME = "Other Thing";

endif;
if you need more help, send me a msg.
0 Kudos

Hi

I need to change application name in add or remove programmes. So please help me on this.

0 Kudos
AJungen
Level 6

Hello,

thank you for your answers

Sory, but i am not sure what you mean.

@Miroslav
As i have already written, i am using a Basic MSI installation.
I think the function OnCustomizeUninstInfo can only be used in a InstallScript Installations.
Installscript can be used with Basic MSI Installation, but i think the On... Functions do not work.
I tried to change the Property within a script, but 'ProductName' is a Property i cant change within a script.

@MichaelIU
I am already using the Table ISProductInformationInstance and already set a different ProductName, but thats not my problem.
I need to build the property ProductName depending on customer selection during the installation.

I think the easiest way is to modify the dialog text strings using a different Property to display my new name
And to modify the Registry Value at the end of the installation.

Thanks

Andreas
0 Kudos