cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjking
Level 3

How to build patches from ISCmdBld commnd line

Hi, I can use the command line tool ISCmdBld to create an msi from my project; but how do I get ISCmdBld to Create the patches that are within the Patch Design section? We need to automate the production of both msi and msp's from FinalBuilder.

Thanks, Richard
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

ISCmdBld.exe does not currently have support for building patches, but it is a feature that that we are considering for an upcoming release. Its tracking number is IOA-000028308.

The automation interface does include support for building a patch, so you may want to consider using that. (For more information, see BuildPatchConfiguration Method in the InstallShield Help Library.)

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
Alfetta159
Level 4

This is great help.

Even if a script like this could be run from the command line installer exe, it would be a big help. I now have to install a copy of InstallShield on my build server just to be able to automatically build this patch during my daily integration.
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

I usually don't use MSI projects for several reasons. This is one of them. Anyway, couldn't you create a release that builds the patch and then use the ISBuildCmd.exe to build that release which will build your patch?

That is what I currently do with Install Shield Script projects. I have two releases defined in my project. One for patches the other for a full release. You see, Install Shield Script projects has the ability to create differential releases based on the previous installation. It really nice. If anyone want more information on this, let me know.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Alfetta159,

I'm not quite sure I understand.

If you're using ISCmdBld.exe, you should already have InstallShield installed. It doesn't work with the InstallShield IDE.

If you're using the Standalone Build or creating command-line builds through the Standalone Build's IsSaBld.exe, you don't need to have InstallShield installed. You can use the automation interface with the Standalone Build as described in the help (Standalone Automation Interface).

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos