cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isherman
Level 4

How to alleviate "Another version of this product is already installed..." error

I can install my latest version of the application and everything works fine. However, if I use run the same installer again, rather than giving me the maintenance options (Repair/Modify/Remove) I get the above error, the full text of which reads:

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

I can run the uninstall from the Add or Remove programs without incident, but I don't want my users getting this message if they need to fix the installation. I have some custom scripts but otherwise my install sequence is unmodified. When I try to run the verbose logging command, it launches the installer and the error occurs, but no log file is created. That command is foo.exe /verbose".\LogFile.log"

Bumping the revision changes nothing. It will upgrade the first time it's run, but then it displays the same error.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
skrueger
Level 6

Are you actually ruinning the same msi again? Or a new build of the msi?

Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org / InstallSite.de
0 Kudos

If I didn't change the version, either one would result in the same behavior.  If I changed the version, it would reinstall, but the error would recur.  There was something wrong in my sequence of install steps- when I manually made mine match the default, the problem went away.

0 Kudos