cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wayneh
Level 4

How to access Serial Number from Cust Info dialog

ISE 2008
I need to take the SN and put it into an ini.

I'm using the Serial Number option in the Customer Info dialog,
and I'd like to know how to get the number entered as a variable, like INSTALLDIR.

I DO NOT need to use a DLL, OR verification.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

I haven't tried it, but I would try using the following as the value in the INI File Changes view:
[ISX_SERIALNUM]

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
wayneh
Level 4

Thanks - I'll give that a try and let you know what happens...
0 Kudos
wayneh
Level 4

Thanks - that worked.

By the way, where can I get a list of all the 'session variables', like ISX_SERIALNUM ??

Also, how do you mark a Post "Resolved" ??
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Variables such as ISX_SERIALNUM are called Windows Installer properties. The following help topic lists many of the major Windows Installer properties:
Windows Installer Property Reference

Issue 1-796E5 was created to expand that help topic to include additional properties, such as ISX_SERIALNUM.

(If you'd like to learn more about ISX_SERIALNUM specifically, see the following help topic: Accessing the Serial Number During and After Installation.)
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

By the way, I'm not sure how to mark a post as resolved.
0 Kudos
wayneh
Level 4

Hi again -

I tried the links you supplied - the first takes me to the list, but ISX_SERIALNUM is nowhere to be found.

The second linke is 'page not found'.....
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Sorry for the confusion. The page for the first link doesn't mention ISX_SERIALNUM. We've logged this problem as issue 1-796E5 in our internal tracking system, which we use to identify enhancements and fixes for future releases. So, hopefully that "Windows Installer Property Reference" help topic can be expanded in a future release of InstallShield.

For now, the page for the second link describes ISX_SERIALNUM.

I'm not sure why you encountered the "page not found" error. Can you try this link?
http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/isxhelp14/ExpressTaskAccessingSerialNumber.htm
0 Kudos
wayneh
Level 4

The most recent link works.

Thanks again,
Wayne
0 Kudos