cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon_Yang
Level 6

How suppress the restart notification dialog in Vista

I built a basic msi project with installshield2008. My install package has both a setup.exe and msi file. For upgrade installation, I use major upgrade and my setting is "Completely uninstall old setup before installing new setup".

The problem is when I triggered a upgrade in Vista, In "Validating install" step, it popup a dialog "The setup must update files or services that cannot be updated whille the system is running. If you choose to contine, a reboot will be required to complete the setup". Choose OK, installation continue, choose Cancel exiting intall. If I chose OK, the same dialog will popup again in "Validating install" step.

If I changed the major upgrade setting to "Install setup then remove unneeded files", the dialog will only popup in In "Validating install" step.

I can handle reboot by my installation. Therefore I wanna suppress the popup dialog. How can I do this?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
cca_cca
Level 2

Hi,
I built a basic msi project with installshield 12. My install package is a single msi file.
I got the same message ("The setup must update files or services that cannot be updated whille the system is running. If you choose to contine, a reboot will be required to complete the setup") but not at the same time.

I'm not upgrading, i'm just trying to uninstall my msi. My msi install a service and starts it, so when i'm trying to uninstall, at the "validating install" step, i got this message.

I also would like to avoid this message because anyway i need to reboot.
Looks like this warning doesn't appears on XP.
0 Kudos
Simon_Yang
Level 6

That's right!
I also faced the same problem when I uninstall my product. I did not wanna this bother users.
So, anyone knows how to solve this problem? Thanks!

cca_cca wrote:
Hi,
I built a basic msi project with installshield 12. My install package is a single msi file.
I got the same message ("The setup must update files or services that cannot be updated whille the system is running. If you choose to contine, a reboot will be required to complete the setup") but not at the same time.

I'm not upgrading, i'm just trying to uninstall my msi. My msi install a service and starts it, so when i'm trying to uninstall, at the "validating install" step, i got this message.

I also would like to avoid this message because anyway i need to reboot.
Looks like this warning doesn't appears on XP.
0 Kudos
cindyj
Level 3

I would also like to know how to fix this problem. I have two services that need to be stopped before uninstalling/upgrade/repair in system context so they are marked that way in the ServiceControl table. Unfortunately Windows Installer’s InstallValidate action doesn’t seem to take that into account correctly when detecting the files in use on Vista with UAC on, so I get the following message: “The setup must update files or services that cannot be updated while the system is running. If you choose to continue, a reboot will be required to complete the setup.” However this is a lie because the StopServices and DeleteServices actions are before the RemoveFiles action in the sequence, so you never need to reboot. Why do we need to scare the users like this? Is there something wrong with my tables? Or am I missing something? This seems like a bug in Windows Installer to me.
0 Kudos
payaldesai
Level 3

Did anybody get solution of this problem?
Unfortunately I am also facing the same issue while uninstalling my application on VISTA when UAC is enabled. I am trying to stop two services in one custom action after Installvalidate exec sequence is done.
Please reply. I am using IS 2008 and I am new to installshield world 😞
0 Kudos
cindyj
Level 3

I think using MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL to disable the restart manager has been the easiest thing to do but not the best.
0 Kudos
joegun
Level 2

The only way I got around this problem was to write a binary that stops/starts the service for command line use, then create an installscript action to bring down the server as a in the execute sequence on REMOVE="ALL". Not the most elegant solution but it does get around the problem.
0 Kudos
Ivan_mysammy
Level 4

cindyj wrote:
I think using MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL to disable the restart manager has been the easiest thing to do but not the best.

I know this is an old thread, but I met the same issue when using InstallShield 2011. Can you explain how to disable MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL ? Cuz this property cannot be accessed through property manager. Do we need a MSI standard custom action to make it?
Or maybe someone knows a better solution for current Installshield Version?
Thanks
0 Kudos
SteveLovell
Level 5

Ivan_mysammy wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I met the same issue when using InstallShield 2011. Can you explain how to disable MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL ? Cuz this property cannot be accessed through property manager. Do we need a MSI standard custom action to make it?
Or maybe someone knows a better solution for current Installshield Version?
Thanks

I too need to know how to use MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL, I have seen this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370377(v=vs.85).aspx
But I am using a Basic MSI project, I dont mind converting to an Installscript MSI if I need to, but I still dont know how to use the MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL.

EDIT:
No need, I have found a work around.
0 Kudos
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

Can you post the workaround please. I'm getting this issue on 2011 and while a reboot is required on an uninstall it is just stupid that a user has to click an OK dialog both at the start and finish of the uninstall.
0 Kudos
Poltron
Level 4

SteveLovell wrote:
I too need to know how to use MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL, I have seen this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370377(v=vs.85).aspx
But I am using a Basic MSI project, I dont mind converting to an Installscript MSI if I need to, but I still dont know how to use the MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL.

You need to add a new property in your Basic MSI.
MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL with a value of Disable and you'll no longer see the FilesInUse dialog.
0 Kudos
Poltron
Level 4

Poltron wrote:
You need to add a new property in your Basic MSI.
MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL with a value of Disable and you'll no longer see the FilesInUse dialog.

Rather than simply adding it as a property to have it globally turned off by default, I set the property at run time where we know it doesn't work for us; uninstall:

Property-Set custom action (type 51):
Install UI Sequence: After MaintananceWelcome
Install UI Condition (_IsMaintenance="Remove")
Property Name: MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL
Property Value: Disable

I've blogged how I came to this solution at buildmaestro.wordpress
0 Kudos