cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

How do I suppress FilesInUse dialog / check

On Windows 7, when I run an uninstall, I get the FilesInUse dialog box coming up asking me to choose whether to close down the application I am uninstalling or reboot at the end. If I choose close down I get a further error message stating that it could not close down the application. But then the uninstall completes successfully. If I choose to reboot at the end, it doesn't always actually reboot.

Obviously these message are no good and confusing to the user, can I suppress them?

The file it is complaining about is a driver file which has been written to prevent it being stopped normally and a special CA has been written to stop it in the execution sequence, this works fine, but it seems this check is done during the UI sequence, because no matter how early in the execution sequence I run this CA, this error message comes up. If I run the uninstall silently it works fine too.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
manomatt
Level 8

Hi Nick,

Try to disable the RESTARTMANAGER and try the same?

If thats not the case then try to detect if the application is running and pop up a mesasge box in the UI sequece saying to close that application before proceeding.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

did you figure this out? i have the exact same issue.
0 Kudos
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

Not in the way that I would have liked to. I ended up running the CA and stopping the driver in the UI sequence. This of course isn't perfect because it means that someone can start an uninstall/modify then cancel out, leaving the driver stopped. However, this was feasible because my Setup is password protected, thus only an Administration could do that which alleviated the security loophole at least, but the driver would not start again until the next reboot.
0 Kudos