cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donprice
Level 4

How do I specify the TargetDrive in an MSI project?

On a target computer with only one hard drive (C:), my .MSI install works just fine. If I run the same install on a target computer with two hard drives (e.g. C: and D:), the files get installed on the second hard drive (D:). How do I specify that I only want the files installed on the C: hard drive regardless of the number of other hard drives present.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Don
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

Not sure how you are setting your INSTALLDIR. It should be constructed such that it is under [ProgramFilesFolder] or that sort. You may want to look under Directory table.
0 Kudos
donprice
Level 4

TsungH wrote:
Not sure how you are setting your INSTALLDIR. It should be constructed such that it is under [ProgramFilesFolder] or that sort. You may want to look under Directory table.

The program files are going into a subfolder under the [ProgramFilesFolder], but there are two separate folders which will not be going under the [ProgramFilesFolder]. These folders are for storing various databases. I want both of these database folders to go on the C: drive, even where there is a 😧 drive. Currently, the database folders are being created on the 😧 hard drive, if there is one. I have hard-coded the database folders in the path variables, but the folders are still created on 😧

I did check the help for information on the Directory Table, but there is no help on how to access the Directory Table, or change it.

Do you have any suggestions?
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

If you are using Professional and Premier Edition, and I assume you use one of these editions since your question is in this forum, you would be able to edit Directory table directly in the IDE.

It is not recommended to hardcode a path for the obvious reason. Is WindowsVolume Property what you really want? If not, you will want to go through the list of available properties and see if there is anything that you can use, directly or indirectly.
0 Kudos