cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swjcarter
Level 3

Feature sets

I have been using Install Anywhere for many years but am a newbie to InstallShield.

This is probably a simple question

Creating a simple MSI install.

Main feature set installs a few files to a machine for any XP/Vista machine.
Child of main feature is to optionally add a few extra files IF and ONLY IF you are on XP.

I have the child feature set to Install Level 101 which shows it as an X when the user is on XP and clicks custom. If they change it to install then everything is good.

For Vista users is there way to remove that child feature option all together, or grey it out or not let them change it ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You can use a feature condition (see the help topic "Condition Table") to conditionally set the install level to 0 on Vista, which hides and deselects the feature.
0 Kudos
swjcarter
Level 3

Setting it to 0 if they are not on XP worked! But one thing I noticed today...

On XP, if you click custom, then the extra feature set is X'd out.
But if you go back and choose Complete then it installs the default feature and the feature that shows up under custom with an red X

What is the magic to make COMPLETE install just certain features ?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

That's a bit trickier, but please see KB article Q106043, "PRB: Feature Conditions Are Not Being Evaluated During a Complete Install".
0 Kudos
swjcarter
Level 3

Thanks for the kb article, from there I found a few others that explained about the addlocal being set to ALL with the "typical" install. After fixing that things seem to be working the way I had hoped.
0 Kudos
savy17
Level 5

I am having the same issue as you have mentioned. Can you explain how I can set the addlocal so that even on Complete install, I can chose not to install the feature which is marked X on Custom install
Thanks,

carter69 wrote:
Thanks for the kb article, from there I found a few others that explained about the addlocal being set to ALL with the "typical" install. After fixing that things seem to be working the way I had hoped.
0 Kudos