cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

How do I have multiple releases install different files

Within one MSI project, I'd like to have multiple releases which would install or not install certain files. How do I do that?

I see there are Release Flags I can assign to each release but don't see how they apply to the installed files.

And what if I need to rename the file? For instance, I may have Readme1.txt and Readme2.txt and want them to both be Readme.txt depending on whether I create Release 1 or Release 2.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Regarding to the release flags, you also need to set them on your features so that the files will be included/excluded depending on releases.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

What do you mean by setting them on my features?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You need to assign release flags to features using the Release Flags setting in the Setup Design view or the Features view. Please see the Release Flags online help topic for more information.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Thanks. I think I'm making progress. I created two features under Organization. I set their levels to 1 and 2, and assigned some extra files to the second one.

The help system says "You can change the package’s INSTALLLEVEL property in the Property Manager".

I can't figure out where I do that. Each of the Features has a Release Flags property as well. Am I supposed to set something in that corresponding to the Release Flags in the Release's Build tab?

I guess I'm getting confused between the INSTALLLEVEL and Release Flags.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

The Release Flags setting is to include and exclude features, InstallShield prerequisites, and chained .msi packages in installation packages depending on the type of release at build time. The Install Level setting is to determine which features are available for installation at run time.

If you want to include and exclude files in your installation packages depending on the type of release, you need to use the Release Flags setting. If you want to install and not install files from an installation depending on the type of setup, you need to use the Install Level setting.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

I'm sorry to be so dense at trying to understand this but for some reason, I'm still having trouble and don't understand the difference or how they are invoked.

Given that I have release flags, how do I use those in combination with the features? Where/how in the properties or InstallScript do I reference the features to specify which ones go with which flags?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Release flags are used by InstallShield build process to determine which features should be built into your installation packages depending on the type of release. If a feature determines to be excluded from a release, it will not be built into the installation package. Hope that clarifies your question.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Thanks. Actually, I found this thread that explained the way to configure this: http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=179463

It's working great, so thanks for your guidance.

Now, I've run into a new issue. Can I change the INSTALLDIR default folder based on a release flag?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

A possible solution is to set the INSTALLDIR property by conditionally launching the Set Property custom actions based on release flags.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Thanks. That link didn't go to SetProperty, but I searched and found this page:

http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?mgr=agm&tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Finstallshield17helplib%2FIHelpCustomActionsReleaseFlags.htm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp%7CMain&agt=wsm&ctxid=showthread.php

So is it doing something like this?
MsiSetProperty(hMSI, "INSTALLDIR", svName);

If so, what's hMSI and how/where do I set this up in the Install Script?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

The Creating Custom Actions in the Custom Actions and Sequences View help topic discusses about how to create custom actions. See also the Sequencing Custom Actions that Set Properties or Directory Properties help topic for more information about the Set Property custom action.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Thanks.

Now that I have multiple releases in one product configuration, is there a way to copy all the releases of one product configuration to a new one or at least copy one release at a time?

I see how to clone a release but can't figure out how to move it to another product configuration.

I'd also be nice to have all the code signing information stored in one place rather than each release. I can see how that could be a pain to manage in the future.
0 Kudos