cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joseph_Schrag
Level 6

How do I enable install errors?

I have an install that keeps failing, and rolling back, but I do not get an error message. Is there some special debugging option I have to set to see errors when installing on a target machine?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If you are using a Basic MSI project, you can log the installation with one of the following command lines:
setup.exe /v"/l*v C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log"

-- or --
msiexec.exe /I "C:\PathToMsi\MsiPackage.msi" /l*v C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log

If you are using an InstallScript MSI project, you can log the installation with the following:
setup.exe /verbose"C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log"

A verbose log file should contain information regarding any errors encountered during the installation.
0 Kudos
Joseph_Schrag
Level 6

I tried the first option and no log file was created.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Please ensure that the path you are using for the log file exists on your target machine. Also, if the path contains spaces, the path must be quoted and the quotes must be properly escaped to be processed correctly.

One other thing to note is if you are running an InstallScript setup.exe, none of these command lines apply. Log files can be created for InstallScript setups, but the log can only be analyzed by InstallShield product support services. If you are running an InstallScript setup.exe, and assuming you have access to the original project source, you can debug the script code by passing /d on the setup.exe command line.
0 Kudos