cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISNoob
Level 6

How can I remove the current version of software and install new.

Hi

Is there a way to firstly detect what version I have installed of my client software. Once detected it is an old version then remove it, and then begin installing the new version.

How can I do that with a Basic MSI Project?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

You might want to take the time to look at the Windows Installer documentation on upgrades, or read over the InstallShield help topics on upgrades. Then, if you have more specific questions, it might be easier for someone to help you.
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

ISNoob wrote:
Hi

Is there a way to firstly detect what version I have installed of my client software. Once detected it is an old version then remove it, and then begin installing the new version.

How can I do that with a Basic MSI Project?

Thanks in advance.

Yes its not that hard .. though it depends on what type of project you are using... MSI or MSI Installscript.

in both cases what you would need to do is to look for your installers OLD "Product GUID" in the destinations systems registry in OnBegin() event, once found you would need to initiate the uninstallation which you could easily do with LaunchAppAndWait( ) function , supplying Setup.exe /u <{YourOldProductCode}>.

HTH
0 Kudos