cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc75
Level 4

How can I obtain Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package for InstallShield 2014?

Hi,

One month after purchasing InstallShield 2014, InstallShield 2015 was available which includes the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Packages.
But how can I obtain the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package without having to upgrade to InstallShield 2015?

Thank you,

Marc
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

What type of package are you building? MSI? If so then you simply download the redistributable file from Microsoft and create your own prerequisite file with all of its conditions and such.
If you are looking for a merge module or some other type of delivery package then I am not certain where you would get that.
0 Kudos
Marc75
Level 4

Yes, package type is MSI.

But I don't want to create my own prerequisite to avoid possible mistakes.
Besides a prerequisite is available, but shipped with InstallShield 2015.

Is there really no possibility to download the prerequisite that ships with InstallShield 2015?

Also... the installlshield redistributable downloader, when you run this, you get a status message telling 'Last Updated 10/14/2008'?!?!
What's the use of such a redistributable downloader? :confused:
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I have never found the redistributable downloader to work very well. As far as I can tell it only helps to download things like .NET Framework. I don't think I was ever able to get items like the visual studio redistributables from it.

The place to get the redistributables is from your online account with Flexera.

If you have a maintenance plan with InstallShield then you can download version 2015 and get the associated redistributables if you want. Otherwise, no, I have never seen InstallShield offer work they did in newer products to an earlier product. I imagine they do this as a business practice because they want to offer incentives for people to purchase a maintenance contract or upgrade to the new version. At the end of the day I want to see a place like Flexera / InstallShield be profitable and continue to make a quality product.

For items like visual studio redistributables, fortunately there is solid information online for their requirements. In the last few releases the command line options for visual studio files has not changed greatly. Aaron Stebner usually has great documentation on the visual studio redistributables.

Even if a third party like InstallShield creates your redistributable prq file for you, you are ultimately responsible to make sure that the conditions are correct. I no longer assume that the prq information is correct. I have been bitten far too many times.
0 Kudos