cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malio_82
Level 3

How can I get the value for the property which was defined in the property window?

How can I get the value for the property which was defined in the property window?

Becuase I will need this value in the install script to create short cut and this value is localizable.

I try to use MsiGetProperty, but it seems it is not the correct method.

Any help is appriacted.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
malio_82
Level 3

I am working on a basic MSI project and our shortcuts are creatd in install script.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

MsiGetProperty is the correct function to get the property values. But why do you use script to create a shortcut?
0 Kudos
malio_82
Level 3

good point.
I don't know either.
All the setup project use script to create shortcuts.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

From IS IDE you can use “System Configuration” -> “Shortcuts” to create a shortcut. It means the Shortcut created using windows installer standard action. No need of script.
0 Kudos
malio_82
Level 3

lambertpandian wrote:
From IS IDE you can use “System Configuration” -> “Shortcuts” to create a shortcut. It means the Shortcut created using windows installer standard action. No need of script.

hi, do you know if I can create a multi-language shortcut there for English, Chinese, Janpanese.

By the way, by the below method I will pass the property name which is defined in the property manager but why I can't get the property value by it:
function STRING GetPropertyValue(szPropertyName,hMSI)
STRING szPropertyValue;
NUMBER buffer;
NUMBER retVal;
begin
// set initial buffer size
buffer = MAX_STRING;
retVal = MsiGetProperty(hMSI, szPropertyName, szPropertyValue, buffer);
if (ERROR_SUCCESS != retVal) then
MessageBox("Error Finding the property.", SEVERE);
endif;
MessageBox(szPropertyValue, SEVERE);
return szPropertyValue;
end;
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

If you have not, please refer to Shortcut Table.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Yes, you can. For multilingual purpose InstallShield maintains the strings separately. You can find that in String Editor.

From the above script I don’t see where you call the function. I suggest below points;
1. Makes the property as public property.
2. If you use Deferred you need property custom action to store the property value.
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

That s easy way to create a shortcut..

Is any perticular reason to create a shotcut using script ???
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

Using Shortcut view is the easiest and the best option.
You can edit the string table based on the languages included
0 Kudos