cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claventure
Level 3

How Do I create a "Plugin" or " Patch" - I don't even know what to call it.

Hello,

I apologize for being so "Green" with Flexera/InstallShield. I replaced someone here at work, and was actually able
to Load the .Ism file (which is called from a MS Build script - where I excluded files, etc.). I was able to ADD to the installation for
this product. It worked!! I could not believe I could learn this thing on my own. Now I need to do something else.

We have "released" this software I build to customers. They are using it. Some users (not All) need another file a .dll placed in their
c:ProgramData (x86)\Osmose\PPL\Plugins folder. I have been distributing this file to users and having them drop it there. This works,
but I have been asked to "automate" this (without cutting a NEW Release of the product).

It is that simple - the build/installation works great. I can generate a setup (or .msi) file just fine for this product, but now I need to
create this "plugin" (or "Patch") that simple drops a file at a folder location when a user runs it, and that's it.

Can someone tell me how to do this? I would guess this must be pretty easy.

Thanks so much
Chris (claventure@Omsose.com)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Reureu
Level 10

Welcome to the world of "I'm just replacing a colleague who normally deals with InstallShield"! The funny thing is: if you do a good job, then it becomes your permanent responsibility 😉

If all you want to do is add a file to your Basic MSI project, you can do 2 things:

• Create a new QuickPatch project.
  • Create a Patch in the "Patch Design" view of your Basic MSI project.

Here are a few words about the latter.

• The idea is to build a new setup that includes all your files (including the new file you want to add). This new setup will have the same product code.
  • The Patch Design allows you to refer the previous version of your setup. It will then create a small package which contains the differences between this previous setup and the new one.

As long as you just want to add a file, you can create a patch. The type of changes you can apply through a patch is limited. e.g. you cannot remove a file.
Have a look at what you can do in a patch, in a minor upgrade and in a major upgrade: http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield21helplib/helplibrary/MajorMinorSmall.htm

Once you have built both the new package and the patch,

• You can then give the full new package to the customers who want to install your new version from scratch.
  • You can give the patch to the customer who already installed the previous version of your product.
0 Kudos
claventure
Level 3

Thank you for your quick response. This is close to what I am looking for - so thank you for the quick answer.
The build as it is now is released as what we want the general user population to have. Only a dozen or less
users will need this "Plugin/Patch". I was hoping to create it as you said:

• You can give the patch to the customer who already installed the previous version of your product.

I will give this a try - thank you.

P.S. Yes I have acquired 4 full-time positions here 🙂
0 Kudos
claventure
Level 3

Thank you again for that response. This worked fine. I was able to create a
quick patch project, base it on my root MSI, add the two little plugin files, specify where
they come from and where I want them installed, and the whole thing worked perfectly.
Now I need to add just one more thing. The user needs to install Microsoft Report Viewer 2010
prior to (or in addition) to these two files. Can that be automated through this InstallShield
project as well? Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

I think MS Report Viewer 2010 exists as prerequisite for InstallShield 2013.
Open your project and go to the Application Data-->Redistributables view. It should be listed there.
You can add it as prerequisite, and your Setup.exe will launch the installation before installing your MSI package. Or you can add it as feature prerequisite.

But I don't think you can add a prerequisite to a patch.
0 Kudos