cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff_Callaghan
Level 3

Help with the RemoveFile table

I am having serious issues creating a patch from one version of my software to another. The problem seems to center around the RemoveFile table. When I build the patch, I get a VAL0001 error, telling me "the file seems to have been removed from the setup, but does not appear in the RemoveFile Table".

two questions:
1) Why do I HAVE to remove the file? I'd certainly like it gone, but it's not hurting anything. It seems odd that InstallShield would insist on calling that an error instead of a warning.
2) I have added the file to the RemoveFile table. I guess I must have done it wrong. Is there any clear and concise documentation stating exactly what the values in this table mean? I've seen various messages, but none of the suggestions I've seen help me get rid of this error.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The Windows Installer help library has information about the RemoveFile table, and this old newsletter tip has an example: http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/PDF/product_data.pdf.

If that doesn't help, perhaps post what you've entered in the table and someone here might be able to help sort it out.
0 Kudos
Geoff_Callaghan
Level 3

However, the issue I'm having is that I need for the files to be removed during a patch or upgrade installation, not an uninstall. In addition, I don't believe they were part of Component, or if they were, I don't know what it would have been called.

I recognize that I can set the InstallMode to 3 and it should be removed upon installation. However, I don't know what to put in Component. Can't I just tell the setup to remove the file no matter what?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because I cannot get this to work either. That required "Component" value does not appear to be working or at least well defined in the documentation when you are giving a wildcard for the file name.
0 Kudos