cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Having to create HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys

We have this one app that that now requires a bunch of HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys to be created during the install, but the application has to be installed on meeting room machines where any user can be logging into.

So what is the best way to handle this for all users that log onto the machine. I know that if I just set each of these registry keys as the key file that when a new user logs onto the machine it will trigger the auto-repair of the install so that the keys are re-created, but is this the best way to handle this situation? I know some people will simply cancel the auto-repair if they do not know why it is popping up.

If this is the best way to handle this then fine I'll go with it, but I just wanted to see what other options there are.

thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Hi Tim,

Try Active Setup -> http://www.appdeploy.com/articles/activesetup.asp. This way you could run a repair as soon as another user logs in and you can configure the repair to run silently, so that the user cannot cancel the repair operation.

Thanks,
Alpesh
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay that looks like it can handle this situation. So just to make sure I get it the install should create, on inital install, both the HKLM and HKCU Active Setup registry, for the currently logged in user entries, using a GUID. And that GUID should be project Product Code GUID?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

You can just create the key under HKLM and only create the StubPath value. This should work. Yes, the GUID can be product guid.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

Question:
Why don´t you create keys and values (I guess default values) at HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Software/xxxx and the Application reads values from there if HKEY_CURRENT_USER items do not exist and writes itself to HKEY_CURRENT_USER? Would that be an option?
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Holger_G wrote:
Question:
Why don´t you create keys and values (I guess default values) at HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Software/xxxx and the Application reads values from there if HKEY_CURRENT_USER items do not exist and writes itself to HKEY_CURRENT_USER? Would that be an option?

Hi there,

.DEFAULT is not quite what you think it is:

The .Default user is not the default user
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2007/03/02/1786493.aspx

ActiveSetup is the best way to go, since it fires during user login. Outside of this, for instance of a user is already logged in when the package is pushed, you'll want to rely on AutoRepair.
0 Kudos