cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirants
Level 5

Generating a PreReq from an MSI

I have a requirement where an MSI A is invoked by another installer B. As such the MSI A is generated at runtime , and the main installer B than invokes this also is generated at runtime, the input to this being the MSI A.

Given this requirement, since the installer B chains multiple MSIs, we need to use the PreReqs for each of these. Is there a way to crank these PreReqs using a command line or something of that sort ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The .prq file should list the path to the MSI file for the prerequisite (in the LocalFile element, I seem to recall); after you build A.msi, can you copy it to the location specified in the prerequisite definition?
0 Kudos
kirants
Level 5

Thanks a lot for your input. Copying an MSI to a specific location will not be a problem. However, once placed there, is there a command line way of kicking off an update of the Prereq using the newly built MSI ?
0 Kudos
kirants
Level 5

RobertDickau, thanks for the hint. I think I see what you are saying.

All this while I thought thr prq was self contained, but it seems it just references the MSI and just swapping out the MSIs from that fixed location would work for me.

Thanks again. This thread is now resolved.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I'm glad it worked---and thank you for posting a follow-up!
0 Kudos