cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cielo1
Level 3

General uninstall problem

I'm using basic MSI Project.
I install a couple of MergeModules, create WebSites\WebApps\AppPools and a Windows service. Everything installs and works fine. Then I'm trying to uninstall it thinking that everything should be removed. Well, I was wrong. the only thing that was removed was a program name from "Programs and Features". Even service hasn't stopped.

SharedDLLs doesnt have any references except for the service exe file, all the Components have "Shared" property set to "No".
What can be the reason of this behavior and is there a way out-of-the-box to clean everything (without Custom Actions)?

Thanks in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

Have you tried logging the uninstall to see if that gives you any clues?

How did you install/configure the service? If you used the tables in the MSI, did you create a control table entry to stop and uninstall the service for uninstall?

How did you create the WebSites/AppPools, etc? I don't use IS functionality for those, so I can't advise you what to check if you did. I created our through custom actions, and also created custom actions to remove them on uninstall or rollback.
0 Kudos
cielo1
Level 3

KathyMorey wrote:
Have you tried logging the uninstall to see if that gives you any clues?

Property(C): IS_PREVENT_DOWNGRADE_EXIT = A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first. Click OK to exit the wizard.

Looks like this is the root of all evil. Though I've tried to clean everything, including the usage of Windows Installer Clean Up utility.

KathyMorey wrote:
How did you install/configure the service? If you used the tables in the MSI, did you create a control table entry to stop and uninstall the service for uninstall?

I haven't touched tables in MSI, I've just added service in Components\Adv. Settings\Services and have created the Event in Control Settings with the following options: Install Start, Uninstall Stop, Uninstall Delete.

KathyMorey wrote:
How did you create the WebSites/AppPools, etc? I don't use IS functionality for those, so I can't advise you what to check if you did. I created our through custom actions, and also created custom actions to remove them on uninstall or rollback.

Well, I have created them using IS functionality, but it looks like I will have to follow your advice and delete everything using CustomAction.

Thanks a lot for your answer!
0 Kudos