cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kotiomkin
Level 5

GUIDs problem, please help!

Hi guys!

In the past I've written some setup projects customized for each customer. Every project include their specific files, attribute and so on.

Now, we find a way for use a single setup project for every our customer. But there is a problem: every old project has its own new GUID, so if I create this new setup project I suppose that when I will try to install it on a customer PC (that has an old project already installed) it could create problems!

So, since I know all the old GUIDs, can I create a sort of my "black list" in the new project in order to abort the new setup if I detect this old GUIDs?
If yes, what is the IS code for do this?

Other solutions are appreciated...

Thank you!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Christoph
Level 8

Are you using a basic msi project or installscript?
0 Kudos
Kotiomkin
Level 5

InstallScript Project!
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

If you would had used a Basic MSI project, it would be easy to do.

You need to actually write a detection mechanism based on the products upgrade code.

When you find an older product of yours, you can set a property or global var.

Afterwards you can quit the installer when the property(or global var) is set.
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

Kotiomkin wrote:
Hi guys!

In the past I've written some setup projects customized for each customer. Every project include their specific files, attribute and so on.

Now, we find a way for use a single setup project for every our customer. But there is a problem: every old project has its own new GUID, so if I create this new setup project I suppose that when I will try to install it on a customer PC (that has an old project already installed) it could create problems!

So, since I know all the old GUIDs, can I create a sort of my "black list" in the new project in order to abort the new setup if I detect this old GUIDs?
If yes, what is the IS code for do this?

Other solutions are appreciated...

Thank you!

If you could afford to "Uninstall" old customer application then do followings

Create a array of your old GUID within your script
create a function that scans thorough all the GUIDs in an array and see if it exists on target system
if found then use the GUID to uninstall the existing applicaiton using LaunchAppAndWait
Once uninstalled, then continue installing that customer specific files.

HTH
0 Kudos