cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anom217
Level 8

Force User Interface during Remove

I have a Basic MSI project and during the uninstall sequence I require an Oracle password to uninstall a database. So I must prompt the user for this password. However, if the user chooses to go to Add/Remove Programs and selects Remove, it will just run the execute sequence of the uninstall, bypassing all the dialogs.

Is there a way to have the Remove button instead call the user interface sequence first? Otherwise how would I call a dialog during the execute sequence? I would prefer just to force the user interface sequence.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

There's no straightforward way to have the Remove button run the UI sequence; I gather common practice is just to disable the Remove button and leave only the Change button in Add or Remove Programs.
0 Kudos
anom217
Level 8

Okay, that is unfortunate. So there is no way to somehow launch a dialog from the Execute sequence then?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Well, you'd really be fighting Windows Installer to do it. The Remove button for a Basic MSI installer skips the UI sequence; you could create a custom action in the Execute sequence that shows some sort of non-MSI dialog box, but run the risk of annoying those wanting a silent uninstall (see ICE13).

A roundabout technique is to hide the MSI information from Add or Remove Programs and write a non-MSI wrapper that appears there, and have your code launched when the user clicks Change/Remove (that's what InstallScript MSI projects do, for example), but that might be more trouble than it's worth.
0 Kudos
anom217
Level 8

Okay, yes it would be nice to have a silent install available. I suppose I'll just disable the Remove button from Add/Remove Programs and hopefully no one complains. Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For what it's worth, there is some precedent for disabling the Remove button:
0 Kudos